Saturday, March 6, 2010

It's been long enough that I'm losing track of time....quit Jan. 20....

Wow, I've been up to my eyeballs in homework today.  And as with any homework, but espeically for school that 100% online, it's A LOT of typing!  So, about 2 minutes ago, after typing away for several hours of the day, I shouted downstairs to my husband, ".....I'VE GOT BLISTERS ON ME FINGERS!!!"

OK, you will only find that mildly funny if #1, you know the Pink Floyd song that it references, or #2 you're a Family Guy fan; Stewie also shouts this out after playing a banjo song.  And Stewie is only funny if you know the Pink Floyd song......but I digress.

So, what's new? Nothing too exciting to talk about lately.  Just doing lots of homework, trying to catch up from my meltdown period when I was almost incapable of bathing because I was so out of it.  Now that I've "recovered" from that episode, it almost feels as if it's another person I'm talking about.  Chemical imbalances are just bizarre; they can make you think certain ways, do certain things, react to others differently then you would when you are "yourself".  Whoever that is, right?

Oh, I do have some good news.  I have recently been connected with a mental health facility in my area that works with broke people like myself.  I must have made 20 calls to different places.  They were all booked, not taking any new patients, didn't work with people from my city, it went on and on.  Very discouraging.  Even more discouraging when you're in the middle of a meltdown and the sky is falling regardless of these phone calls.  But, I've got to hand it to my wonderful mother-in-law, she found me each and every one of those numbers, including the one that finally worked!  She really is my second mom, she's great at helping you find your way through just about anything. I'm one of the lucky ones who really like my in-laws.  Anyway,I was so relieved and excited when I heard the news that I could "get in" to start some kind of treatment, it was great.  I cannot actually see anyone until early April. The appointment I had last week was only pperwork. But the guy at the counter told me not to feel too bad, because all the people I saw in the waiting area weren't getting in until May.  Yep, that worked, I didn't feel quite so bad.

On top of this, as a last resort, I contacted the previous doctor I had in Wisconsin to beg and plead with her to give me just one more prescription for the medication I take.  When you have a mood or emotional disorder, things can go drastically wrong when you don't have the medicine you need to even out all those chemicals in the noggin, hence the "episode" I recently had.  I received the email a few days ago that my merciful former doctor had called in 3 more months worth of medication for me!  I just about jumped out of my seat, as I sat in the car, reading the email from my phone. ("....You can't always get what you want.....but if you try sometimes...you might find....you get what you need!") Relief is in sight!


If you or anyone you know may be struggling with bi-polar disorder, I encourage you to check out this link so you can at least know what to look for and what to do about it.
The basics of bi-polar disorder and more...

They say bad things come in three's right?  I believe that's true for good things,too.  I've had 2, wonder what the third will be......hmmmm.

So, now, I just have to bide my time until that first appointment with a therapist.  I do miss therapy, it really does help.  I mean, the person who you talk to is trained and PAID to listen to your problems and offer suggestions.  Does it get any better?  I never understood these people who thought there was something wrong with therapy, I think it's great.  But, on the down side, it means that since it's someone I have not seen before, I have to go through the emotional mud as I describe my problems, short-comings, and feelings. Yuck, I hate going to "that place" you know, it a downer, for lack of a better word.  But right now, I am optomistic that it'll be a good thing.  Can't really get a whole lot worse, right?....Don't answer that, lol.

1 comment:

  1. My son't bride to be is bi-polar and went off her meds. She didn't think she needed them, which I am sure happens alot. She went to the doctor for an evaluation due to an upcoming custody court date from her previous marriage and child. The doctor spent 3 minutes with her and put her into a mental facility to get back on track. Said 72 hours but so far has been a week. They are supposed to get married on the 17th of March and I am not sure it is going to happen. Lots of drama there. they live in Fairplay and she is in the hospital in Denver. My son is an alcoholic and her leaving sent him down a path of self-destruction and has been on a week drunk. Get help quick. I am glad that you see the signs and seek help. She chose to ignore it and say she was fine. Even wanted my son to lie to the doctor. No need, the doctor could see the manic in her eyes and voice. I don't know if this wedding should or should not happen, he is 42 she is 32 and they are consenting adults. They need each other to stay right, but something happened that each thought they could make it without medication. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete